Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ramble Bramble

Seems I caused an uproar on a friend's blog recently for perceived Bible-bashing. The owners, who as far as I know are professing Christians, made some posts containing what most folks would call crude humor, even if they also thought it funny. I in turn attempted to gently remind them that we're supposed to have highers standards because our actions reflect on the God we server. This was met with angry criticism and a kind of how-dare-you-trample-on-my-free-speech defense. However, I won't back down on what I said because, while I'm no less convicted by what I posted, it saddens me to see my friends--fellow believers--so unabashedly mimicking the mindset of the world. Maybe I'm weird for wanting to distance myself from it. Perhaps I'm mistaken for believing that Christians are supposed to stand out against the background noise of secular culture. Could be that Christians aren't supposed to check each other's behavior for the previous two reasons.

Unfortunatley I can't say all that without adding the caveat that I'm no less susceptible to being drawn into a worldly mindset myself, and there are also things I do that I'd like to keep hidden. I've been reading the daily devotions from Oswald Chambers's book My Utmost for His Highest. The last several days' entries have been hard to digest. The thrust of them is that our petty personal concerns mean nothing to God compared to the reality of the Gospel. I can't say I wholly agree with it. I do acknowledge that proclaiming Christ crucified is our number one priority, and that all other concerns should rightly fall by the wayside. But on the other hand, if God is our loving Father, how could he not be concerned about his children? No good earthly father is unconcerned. When voicing concerns approaches the excess of whining and complaining, the situation changes.

Maybe that's what he was getting at. I don't know, but his ideas still trouble me. No one is able to make me question my salvation like ol' Oswald. He speaks in such absolutes that he leaves no room for the student...you either have Christ completely and the rest of the world is obliterated by it, or you never had Him at all and you're still just as condemned as the unrepentant pagan. If this is the case then I'm in dire straits, especially because I cannot elicit faith and devotion from my own volition. It seems I'll need to pray for God to increase my devotion to him. I only wish I were a little less comfortable with things.

Fortunately that gets tempered every once in a while. I've been reading about how the internet backbones want to start charging both users AND content providers to use their networks in a so-called "tiered internet" whereby the internet we know today would only be available to the highest paying customers, and the prices we know today would only afford low-level service like band-limited web and e-mail. In other news, it's becoming clear that organized crime has moved solidly into the online sphere, crafting virii and malware with the capability for widespread ID theft, then selling such "technologies" for huge sums of money in online black markets. Human capacity for greed never ceases to astound me. And on 20/20 tonight the show's topic was on how America is becoming ever more rude. It seems that technology is a major contributor, as we all cram into cities and chat on our cell phones while checking e-mail on our blackberries and getting stock quotes on our pagers. It tempts me to unplug from the internet completely in a quest for a simpler kind of life. The upshot of that is that the majority of what I find entertaining is electronic in nature. Maybe that's an addiction that can be cured though...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i dunno about the whole "penguin" thing...it could have been fine, but got raunchy. i was pretty shocked.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Kenton Finkbeiner said...

As for, "you either have Christ completely and the rest of the world is obliterated by it, or you never had Him at all and you're still just as condemned as the unrepentant pagan."

I agree...

But we must remember that this is the human condition, and that without the saving grace of Christ we are all bound for hell.

Luckely, Christ's blood covers that and all of us are blameless.

...you're treading on the idea that 'eternal security' doesn't exist, but maybe you believe that you can LOOSE your salvation...

...in my case, I can't loose mine, im eternally bought and paid for with the sheding of blood...

(Remove the anonymous option from your comments... I hate that)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Telephone the Foot said...

The fact of salvation isn't what I think he's pointing to. I get the impression that he says our behavior either changes completely and immediately, or it's an indication that we haven't yet been saved. I disagree furiously with this idea because, while I firmly know I am Christ's, there are still a lot of worldly kinks He's working out of me as I go along. I'm sure you can side with me on this point, Kenton. Much as I say I'd like to be completely transformed all at once, it doesn't seem like that's God's strategy. Instead I'm having to turn over one thing at a time. But maybe that's not so bad either, because it still means I'm turning my life over to Him, even if it comes in fits and starts.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Kenton Finkbeiner said...

I agree with you...

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For certain reasons I cannot name I must remain nameless, but I must say that I completely agree with your assessment of the situation and agree with what you said.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kenton Finkbeiner said...

Ya ya,,, whoever that was is just being a dork...

Bryan, remove the annonymous thing...

People are afraid to comment on mine because they have to post who they are...

Thats why I dont get back handed comments on my blog...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

As I am unaware of the surrounding situation, I cannot make normative statements about your actions. However, in a general sense, it takes courage to stand up against worldly behavior, especially when it is something that others percieve as normal. Ephesians 4:29-32 puts it this way: "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

When we study, internalize, and LOVE the Word of God, we desire to speak goodness, to see good things, to spend our time wisely, to love purely. If a Christian friend is saying things that pull down other people, that grieves the Spirit. I'll not blather on any more. Bryan, thank you for upholding your convinctions, as you always do.

12:18 PM  
Blogger The Red Light said...

First of all, as Christians, it is not our place to judge one another. Yes, we should improve ourselves and be striving for righteousness, but that is a struggle that we fight in our own lives and in the quiet, and not so quiet, places in our hearts. It is between us and God. You are not our judge, nor our jury, nor does our salvation lie in your hands and jurisdiction.

Romans 14

Welcome those who are weak in faith, but not for the purpose of quarreling over opinions. 2Some believe in eating anything, while the weak eat only vegetables. 3Those who eat must not despise those who abstain, and those who abstain must not pass judgment on those who eat; for God has welcomed them. 4Who are you to pass judgment on servants of another? It is before their own lord that they stand or fall. And they will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

10Why do you pass judgment on your brother or sister? Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11For it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God.” 12So then, each of us will be accountable to God.

We also really appreciate all points that have been made by Kenton, on this blog and our own. Our salvation is complete. We are accountable to God. Why quarrel over differences in choices, it simply causes rifts and arguments between believers. Every believer will have a different lifestyle. But that doesn’t mean that the lifestyle is wrong.

Might we add that these judgmental messages are what turn people off to Christianity. This kind of judgment is fundamentally saying that the judger is better than you because they’re more holy. That’s selfish and self-serving, no matter what you believe your intent is. This is not how you witness. This is how you scar people so badly that they would never even consider the faith. We think that people need to step outside themselves once in awhile and try on a new lens. Just learn to show some love, and every once in awhile, compassion. It’s only what Jesus did, right?

Romans 13:8-10

8Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not covet”; and any other commandment, are summed up in this word, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law.

- The Ladies from the aforementioned blog that has been thoroughly criticized and judged not only here, but in our own space.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home