Tuesday, July 27, 2004

My life in a box

The movers left here about half an hour ago. My car was shipped yesterday. It's all been very quick, but now the reality is setting in. I am no longer a resident of my parents' home, only a guest. My state of excitement is somewhere between going to Disneyland and being chased by a bear. I took some pictures of everything all packed up and when those get developed, I'll get them up on here somehow. It was strange to see it all go. It's strange to see my room all empty. It's strange to think I'll be driving to my first week of work from a hotel room. I'll feel like a pauper bringing my beat up old furniture into a nice new, clean apartment. Well, I've got 4 months until I have to start paying on my loans, I can use the extra money on some decent furniture, but at least I have something to start me off.

For the next several days I will languish in my home and the hotel room, anticipating my first day of work. It begins at 7:30, by the way. Oh well, can't have it all I guess. Hopefully that's not the standard start time, it's early even by blue-collar standards. With any luck I can make it a 9 to 5 thing, although I am on salary so that may throw a kink in things if they want me to work more hours. Dad says that the expectation is usually 50 hours a week for salaried workers. That's not very nice. The closer I can keep it to 40, the better. I don't want work consuming my life like it does for so many other professsionals.

Now that everything is out of my hands I have some down time to relax, see some friends, and in Sunnyvale, familiarize myself with the roads I'll be driving on daily. Well, for all my freaking out, God is still in control of the situation and I've just got to remember to praise him whatever the circumstances. So praise him! I need to eat lunch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description "somewhere between going to Disneyland and being chased by a bear" is brilliant. It made me laugh out loud, and read the line to my co-worker!

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home