Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Chump Change

Decided some time last week or so that I don't have enough money in my account to cover the costs of signing a rental lease. First month, last month, security deposit, that's worth as much as my teeth. I'll get relocation money from Lockheed, but not in time. So I opted to become a true American: I got a credit card. Turns out the cards offered by my bank are pretty good. Plus, since it is my bank, I get automatic overdraft protection and I can pay balances at any branch and they will go through the same day (except weekends). Unfortunately, I don't have income just yet so that makes it difficult (read "impossible") to get a card. Fortunately, my parents are ever giving of themselves. Mom agreed to put her credit on the line and co-sign on it so I can get the card. She was thinking, "Oh, a limit of a few grand would be good enough." Well due to her excellent credit, my nascient card has a paltry $15,000 limit on it. Thank God that means nothing to me as I don't believe in spending money I don't actually have unless it's unavoidable. God still takes care of all that for me though, so I can have peace.

Got some free furniture and dishes from dad's friend's wife's mother's estate. Nothing fancy, but it'll do until I have money for better. Can't pass up on free stuff. Then stayed another few hours talking to the family. It may be the last time I see them for years. Good stuff. God has some amazing work going on in all of them. Praise his Name.

Had a nice looooooong chat with a dear friend about many things the other night. Exacerbated by the fact that I'm leaving, most likely. It's too bad that we haven't kept up this level of contact for the last four years or so. But it's still good to have such discussions. The man is closer to God than he realizes. It'll just take the right wording to make him realize the significance of what Christ is offering him. I'm confident it'll reach him soon. He understands easily things about God that some lifetime christians never get past. I'm very grateful for him and for all our chats, and the fact that no matter how long it's been, I feel as close to him as I ever did. That's why he'll be one of my best friends for the rest of my life. The cord of true frendship is not frayed by time or distance, it binds people together in spite of the circumstances. Good design, Lord. Good design.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home