Monday, June 06, 2005

A momentary interruption

I'll post part two tomorrow, but I wanna get this in edgewise first. I feel like the only person who pays attention sometimes. This morning while I was driving to work I was in the center of 3 lanes with a white corolla in front of me and a mercedes following too closely behind a pickup in the lane to my left. The corolla driver signaled to move left and positioned himself between the mercedes and the pickup. She stays there for a few seconds waiting for the mercedes to let him in, which he completely fails to do. I was watching his head and he didn't even look, just kept right on going. So I decide to be the nice guy since there's nobody behind me. I slow down and let the corolla in and what does the mercedes guy do as soon as that's done? He jets out into my lane. I shook my head at that very one-wayed exchange.

Ironically the same guy ended up behind me making a right turn a little later. We were stuck behind a big box truck who, when he makes the right turn, drives right down the center of our two lanes. As I'm waiting for him to pick a lane, I signal to go left. Soon as the truck settles into the right lane I check behind me (good thing) to move over and Mr. Mercedes jets out around me and takes over. Again I saw his head, and again he seemed to be absolutely obilivious of my well-displayed intentions. He had this smug look on his face the whole time too...that mercedes must be compensating for something. I'm glad he thinks it's important to drive like a jackass...but then that's the rule, not the exception down here it seems.

The other incident was much less dangerous, and therefore more amusing. To get into our building we have to scan our badges on the RFID reader outside the door to unlock it. If several people are going through, only one needs to scan. So as I was walking quickly (as I'm wont to do) up the path to my building, I overtake a middle-aged woman heading in the same direction. I get to the RFID reader about 10 paces ahead of her and decide to be a gentleman and hold the door. I watch her as she totally ignores me, scans her badge, walks over to the door and only then notices that I've been holding it the whole time.

Maybe it's because I still have my youthful vigor, maybe it's because I eat much less sugar than the average American, or maybe something's wrong with me instead, but sometimes I just don't get people. Don't get the wrong impression, I thought all of this was pretty funny. A little pathetic maybe, but funny nonetheless. Granh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tia said...

I'll send you some fruit punch for your birthday. You know, like the stuff I used to sell to my siblings: water, food coloring, and sugar. Yummy. Perception-altering!

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home