Monday, June 13, 2005

Hot Shots, Part Deux

Quick, while I have working internet access, here's the next chapter. Wahoo!

Now, on to the fun. My story will be a lopsided portrayal because I wasn't involved with the women's or children's ministries, but I'll tell what involvment I had.

Day one: The Beam Team
In order to put the roofs on the three rooms under construction we had to lift a total of about 50 15 foot long 400 pound concrete beams 12 feet high and set them atop the walls...with nothing but out hands, sticks, and ropes. It took 5 of us to lift one, carry it about 150 ft. over to the room, then several more with long sticks to help the two or three standing on the walls hoist them up with ropes and push them into place. Nico and Luis were the heros of the wall. None of us were ballsy enough to stand up there and heave those things around. Definitely not an OSHA approved job site. Oh, and did I mention that it was about 95 degrees with 80% humidity? But that wasn't until noon, and we worked the whole morning to beat it. Nevertheless, sweat was pouring out of us like we were perforated. I think I put down about 32 oz. of water an hour. After lunch we went home for a much needed cold shower and siesta until 5 when VBS started. Felix and I taught a couple boys how to throw frisbees. I was a crowd member ignoring Zaqeo as he tried to see Jesus. Rather disorganized, but the kids thought it was funny. Dinner about 8, then we all hung out for a bit before going back home, another cold shower, and going to bed.

Stay tuned folks. Same bat-time, same bat-channel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home