Saturday, June 25, 2005

(part) 4 on the floor

It's that time once again, kiddies. This is taking MUCH longer than I thought it would, but at least it allows me to keep putting off writing about the last day. If you're lucky I'll do it before I forget what happened. Enjoy...or don't, it's up to you.

Day Three: The Bucket Brigade
So now we had a roof over our heads, precariously propped up by concrete beams and sticks ground to ceiling the Mexican workers inserted for added support. The final step in construction was to pour a couple inches of concrete over the top of everything to solidify it. You might say it's the icing on the cake. Fortunately we had a machine on our side this time: a concrete mixer. I guess in previous years they've had to make a mountian of ingredients on the sidewalk then mix it with shovels. Glad I wasn't down there in previous years. So, recycling our wall-brick scaffolding from yesterday we formed another human conveyor belt from the mixer to the rooftop. The workers had somehow hoisted two wheelbarrows up there. I never really saw what they were doing up there anyway. Oh well. Our 2 gallon buckets were slightly lighter than the bricks, but we also lifted probably three times as many of them. I manned a wheelbarrow for most of the day, conveying half-mixers of concrete from the machine to the "elevator", and spent some time on the shoveling crew as well, filling our five-gallon measuring cups with sand and gravel. We polished off the two smaller roofs that day...boy was it a long day. We didn't finish until about 2pm. Lunch was some wonderful kind of fajitas, which for most of us simply became a mountain of food on our plates. Back home for showers and siestas. Most of us were rather late to VBS because we were simply exhausted. Some people went to the cenote briefly, but I didn't. I missed the whole thing, so you'll have to ask somebody else about it. I was supposed to be the High Priest in the Saul to Paul skit, but Matt Vargas was apparently a suitable understudy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tia said...

we didn't have no fancy "concrete mixer" :)

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home