Thursday, July 28, 2005

Well, I can now kiss a chapter of my life goodbye.

I used to claim that I disliked Baroque music. However, having heard some of Bach's more expansive pieces, I've revised my opinion on the issue. It's not Baroque music that I dislike, but rather one component of the Baroque style. In fact, it's not even so much part of the style (though I've yet to hear it outside of music from that era), it's one musical instrument in particular: The harpsichord.

For those of you who don't know, the harpsichord is a keyboard instrument that almost predates the piano. They look like lanky, angular ripoffs of a grand piano. But whereas a piano strikes the strings with a padded hammer, the harpsichord, in a sad mockery of harpists, plucks them mechanistically when a key is pressed.

The result is the sissy, twinkly beng that characterizes the nauseatingly prim sound of the harpsichord. This irritating timbre is then typecast in innumerable uninteresting, heavily trilly chamber pieces.

Pianos are capable of great extremes of emotion, ranging from the most delicate love themes to the heights of furor and rage. By contrast, the dynamic and expressional capabilities of the harpsichord are singularly monotonous. It always produces the same tinny, disinterested twang no matter the application.

The harpsichord is the ill-tempered miniature poodle of musical instruments. It doesn't matter whether it's the featured voice or a part of the musical backdrop, it's irritating sound sneaks through the crowd and nips at the heels, turning an otherwise enjoyable composition into a chafing test of patience and an unwanted look into the stuffy, ceremonious world of 17th and 18th century European aristocracy. It's no wonder that only rich white people still suffer to listen to it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I like the harpsicord. Of course, I also like the sound of steel guitar and country music, so I guess my music opinion doesn't hold much weight.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way you write. At best, it gives me something to ponder for days. At "worst," it makes me laugh. I read it to Dad and he likes your description and said it was a good critique because it shows that you're thinking. But he also pointed out that the harpsichord isn't annoying, you just seem to prefer the piano (I do as well). Besides, harpsichords go out of tune if you look at them crosseyed.
I didn't appreciate Mozart until I sang his Requiem in the UW Chorale. I didn't appreciate Bach until I played some of his violin works. Maybe you should take harpsichord lessons. I'm sure you could find a stuff-shirted fruit to teach you. :-D
-Koneko

5:21 PM  
Blogger Kenton Finkbeiner said...

I love the harpsicord. It's so snotty and aristocratic to own and play one...

In other news:

If uhaul allows me to, I will drive to Los Angeles with the UHaul and then work my way up from there....

Kenton

2:20 PM  
Blogger Joel A. Shaver said...

The ill-tempered clavier?

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home